The only approval you need on Apollo's Temple is the admin's acceptance of your username!!

HomePortalFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Fall of the Middle Class

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jon
Mortal
Mortal

PostSubject: Fall of the Middle Class   Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:38 am

So; I hear it often that the middle class is falling. Perhaps some others around here can enlighten me on what this means.

Jon
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Phat
Mortal
Mortal

PostSubject: Failure is an option   Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:54 am

I grew up as a Lad in at the time of prosperity for America. Dad had grown up poor as a farm boy in Missouri and Mom was poor too, as were most of their peers of the time. World War II was the event of the day, and Dad and his generation went to do a mans job at 18 years of age. Well sir, he came back and went into business with my Uncle. They built houses, and between them built over 400!!
Dad made a modest living for a man with no education, and he scrimped and saved...and al;so invested. By having some money, he didn't need to borrow so much and pay interest. Our family soon grew comfortable. Dad made perhaps $12,000.00 a year,, but in 1970 that was quite good. As Mom now said, I was spoiled as a child since my parents gave me everything that they never had themselves...(which was a mistake) and I never grew up having to struggle. Then Dad died of cancer when i was but 17, and suddenly I was given $6000.00 from two bank accounts that had been saved for my college. I was an idiot, however...and so am where I am today...50 years old and stuck hiding behind a union to get even the wage I now get.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nicki
Scribe
Scribe

PostSubject: Re: Fall of the Middle Class   Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:14 am

With the increasing advances in technology and also the way of living, it's harder and harder for the "middle class" to stay above water. With minimum wage being so low and prices of necessities and other goods rapidly increasing, more money is being distributed among fewer things.
Not only this, but when money runs tight, people turn to lines of credit to supplement the income that they would have normally spent on the things that they need (or most times want) when prices were at a lower price. This causes a bigger and bigger hole in people's pockets, leading to more and more people to file bankruptcy to start "a new."
This has always been a problem in the US but I think that with the economy as it is, it's going to get worse unless there are more jobs and money made available.

Just my thoughts, what's everyone else's?
Nicki
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Phat
Mortal
Mortal

PostSubject: The World Is Not Partial To Us Anymore   Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:50 am

After World War II, the United States was the only game in town as far as quantity and quality of manufacturing was concerned.
In 1950, my Sis was born and in 1959 I came along. We were not wealthy in comparison to our neighbors, yet we did have more money than the average U.S.family, which my Dad taught me was because of hard work and frugality. Thus I learned that if I worked hard and was reasonable with my money, I literally should do well by right. The rest of the world soon adopted the same mantra, and now has caught and surpassed the U.S. Middle Class spawn. The poorer folks always knew that there would be a competition, but not so with my generation. We thought we were ahead for good.

I don't mean to sound spoiled or entitled, but it is depressing to do all I can do and not be at the head of the class.

Are the good old days gone forever?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jon
Mortal
Mortal

PostSubject: Re: Fall of the Middle Class   Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:03 pm

Nicki wrote:
With the increasing advances in technology and also the way of living, it's harder and harder for the "middle class" to stay above water. With minimum wage being so low and prices of necessities and other goods rapidly increasing, more money is being distributed among fewer things.
Not only this, but when money runs tight, people turn to lines of credit to supplement the income that they would have normally spent on the things that they need (or most times want) when prices were at a lower price. This causes a bigger and bigger hole in people's pockets, leading to more and more people to file bankruptcy to start "a new."
This has always been a problem in the US but I think that with the economy as it is, it's going to get worse unless there are more jobs and money made available.

It depends on what you mean by 'making money available'. Perhaps you could elaborate on this, as I am uncertain of the precise ways you feel this needs to take place.

Jon

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jon
Mortal
Mortal

PostSubject: Re: Fall of the Middle Class   Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:04 pm

Phat wrote:
After World War II, the United States was the only game in town as far as quantity and quality of manufacturing was concerned.
In 1950, my Sis was born and in 1959 I came along. We were not wealthy in comparison to our neighbors, yet we did have more money than the average U.S.family, which my Dad taught me was because of hard work and frugality. Thus I learned that if I worked hard and was reasonable with my money, I literally should do well by right. The rest of the world soon adopted the same mantra, and now has caught and surpassed the U.S. Middle Class spawn.

I follow you well, until here:

Quote :
The poorer folks always knew that there would be a competition, but not so with my generation. We thought we were ahead for good.

How is that related to the issues you raised above? And what does this say about why the Middle Class is falling and what can be done about it?

Quote :
Are the good old days gone forever?

Unknown.

Jon
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nicki
Scribe
Scribe

PostSubject: Re: Fall of the Middle Class   Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:50 pm

Jon wrote:
It depends on what you mean by 'making money available'. Perhaps you could elaborate on this, as I am uncertain of the precise ways you feel this needs to take place.

Well, if a person has a job, they would be making money, thus making more money available for them. But also, if there were some way (not knowing how exactly) that the government could make more money available for those in need (without making everyone else pay the price of this) then I think that would help too...but I know that that is only a dream I dream Razz

Nicki
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jon
Mortal
Mortal

PostSubject: Re: Fall of the Middle Class   Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:40 pm

Nicki wrote:
But also, if there were some way (not knowing how exactly) that the government could make more money available for those in need (without making everyone else pay the price of this) then I think that would help too...but I know that that is only a dream I dream Razz

Indeed, this is just a dream. There is no way to add money to one person's pocket without taking it from the pocket of another. There is, as the saying goes, no free lunch.

Jon
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Phat
Mortal
Mortal

PostSubject: Re: Fall of the Middle Class   Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:28 pm

Quote :
There is no way to add money to one person's pocket without taking it from the pocket of another.
Yes, and that should be the rich mans pocket! Mad

They should pay to fix the mess we are in, if only because they are the only ones who can afford to pay.

Otherwise, there will be many more middle class folks getting poor and only a few ambitious ones escaping the fall.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fall of the Middle Class   Today at 11:14 am

Back to top Go down

Fall of the Middle Class
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1